shield of the Bolduc House Museum: New France
Back of the Bolduc House showing the gardens
 We are in the process of rebranding the site. Please be patient with us.
New France - The OTHER Colonial America
Fleur-de-lisThe Bolduc House Museum Fleur-de-lis

The Bolduc-LeMeilleur House

The Bolduc-LeMeilleur House at 123 South Main Street was built around 1820. While not a vertical log house, it retains much of the French Colonial architecture prevalent in the mid-Mississippi River Valley that owes its inspiration to France and the French Caribbean.

The LeMeilleur House from the street

This house has served many different purposes including a private home, a convent school run by the Sisters of Loretto, a blacksmith’s shop, and a car repair shop. Like the Bolduc House it has been carefully restored by The National Society of the Colonial Dames in America in the State of Missouri.

Items On Display

  • Items on display include a horse hair sofa, a whale oil lamp, a set of dominoes, and a rope bed
  • The room is interpreted at about 1820 showing a later life-style than that portrayed in the earlier Bolduc House across the fence.

Back to the index for this page

M. Jean-Baptiste Sebastian Pratte

JB Pratte

Who painted this portrait? The Pratte family members think it was John Audobon and there is some plausibility to that idea. No one signed it and John Audobon was here...The frame is silver leaf which has been painted brown.

How did he know Louis Bolduc? Both men came from Quebec and were born in 1739. JB gave Louis Bolduc an eighth share of the local salt works (see the painting in the Linden House). JB witnessed almost every legal document pertaining to Louis Bolduc. JB was the guardian for Louis’ three children after their mother died. JB lived in a house immediately south of the Louis Bolduc House when the town relocated. M. Pratte was the executor of M. Bolduc's estate.

His son, Henry, was the priest of Ste. Genevieve.

His grandson, Bernard Jr. was an early mayor of St. Louis.

His family partnered in the fur trade with the St. Louis Chouteau family in the French Fur Company.

Back to the index for this page